Saturday, September 27, 2008

videotape


i was all set to write about politics today, specifically the debate last night and how presidential debates don't really do all that we would like them to do. then i started thinking about a song i listened to a few nights ago by radiohead. videotape.

i blog about politics occasionally because i want others to come to a certain light i have been lucky enough to discover in my days. contrariwise, i blog about radiohead or any work of art primarily just to stroke my own sensibility. it is merely the selfish act of putting into words how i appreciate or why i love.

with radiohead it can be difficult to know what a song is about but this one follows a familiar theme for thom yorke. the lyrics are below and i think the gist of it is, "the proof is in the pudding." to expand only slightly i think the idea is if he were to stand at some pearly gates and if he had to make a case for himself to st. peter, his response would be to simply say, "roll back the videotape and let's watch. i'm cool with it."

When I’m at the pearly gates

This’ll be on my videotape

My videotape

My videotape

When Mephistopheles is just beneath

And he’s reaching up to grab me

This is one for the good days

And I have it all here in

Red, blue, green

Red, blue, green

You are my centre when I spin away

Out of control on videotape

On videotape

On videotape

On videotape

This is my way of saying goodbye

Because I can’t do it face to face

So I’m talking to you before

No matter what happens now

I won’t be afraid

Because I know

Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen

it is not hyperbole to say yorke is a musical genius. i am very comfortable with that idea. but this is an especially beautiful rendering of a sickly sweet song.

what do you think?

No comments: