Sunday, August 16, 2009

altruism


al·tru·ism
  1. noun
    unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness

  2. Ethics the doctrine that the general welfare of society is the proper goal of an individual's actions

a visitor to my blog recently referred to it as altruistic, (or perhaps he said he saw moments or flashes of altruism-my memory belies my age.) the question is; does my blog exhibit an unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness? does it promote a doctrine which considers the general welfare of society as the proper goal of an individual's actions?

i do have something of a belief system. it does not involve any magical creatures or even ancient texts, per se. it is simply a belief in humanity as exhibited through a tendency to act in ways which push forward and positively impact the evolution of mankind. in my thought, individuals who act in such manner are saints or are saintly in those moments when they achieve such action. some of the eastern philosophies regard right action as noble and i can certainly go along with that.

in a way i think the comment is more about my writing than about the content. i have a unique style of writing, one that is not particularly palatable to most people. i write simply. i try to put forth ideas that are basic. i want to distill things down to love and innocence and building blocks and earth, which is to mean, if all that is sacred comes from truth and truth is discerned by children, then i want my ideas to be discernible to children. i have no interest in pleasing the intellectual. i am only interested in him challenging me.

it was meant to be a compliment, this altruism remark, and i received it as such. still i know that some are bound to view my writing style, (if not in some cases my subject matter,) as somehow sophomoric and off-putting. (i don't like everyone's writing style.)

regardless of any commentary on my writing, i do like the idea of altruism. i want to be altruistic. i want my blog to promote the general welfare of society. i do think society at large, or the human race, is far more important than me. i reject out of hand absurdist and other views that consider life meaningless. and yes, i do think people's decision and everyday choices should be based in a broad way on the welfare of others, which is to mean, the welfare of our kind.

don't you?

No comments: